Adventism came to St. Thomas in 1900 with the arrival of a young self-supporting missionary Andrew P. Palmquist. The first church building on St. Thomas was erected in 1905 on the site where the present City Seventh-day Adventist Church now stands. Like the founders of the Adventist organization, pioneers of the work on St. Thomas realized the importance of Christian Education. Thus, by 1908 a Primary School was started. The church grew slowly, but the school was forced to close. However, it was re-opened on November 1, 1920, with an enrollment of 21 students from grades one - six, under Principal Beula Sopa.
A hurricane in 1924 destroyed the Church, and the school was forced to close again. Pastor L. D. Brathwaite came to St. Thomas in 1950, and took the statement by Mrs. White literally, that if there were at least six students, the church should provide a school where our children could be educated. So the early 1950s saw the school on the move again, with Ms. Carmen Richards (later Lake) as Principal and teacher teaching all the grades that were organized.
As enrollment increased, other teachers were employed, and more space was needed to accommodate the growing school. By the early 1960s, the church saw fit to purchase land in Anna's Retreat for the purpose of one day building a church and a school. Under the leadership of Pastor J. C. Shillingford in the mid-1970s members decided to build the school first, and the church later. In 1972 students were moved to their new school in Anna’s Retreat. The highest grade then was the eighth grade, and students had to leave and go to public school to complete their education. To remedy this situation, the members decided to add an additional grade each year. So a plan was developed to add three classrooms on all three levels at the western end of the existing building.
On September 2, 2019, a ‘soft’ ceremony was held to ‘re-open’ the St. Thomas/St. John Seventh-day Adventist School. We have made significant strides since Hurricanes Irma and Maria. There are many challenges but with God’s help we are grateful to be back at the school, and give God the glory for what He has done.